Data protection services
Keeping data confidential should be a key priority for any organisation. HW Fisher & Company can provide compliance and risk assessment services to help you and your clients be confident that sensitive information is kept safe.
A company that fails to comply with the Data Protection Act (DPA) could face serious sanctions of up to £500k from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO has recently stepped up its enforcement of the law, and the number of organisations being fined for breaking it increases annually.
Potential penalties include:
- Monetary penalty notices: fines of up to £500,000 for serious breaches of the DPA.
- Prosecutions and possible prison sentences for deliberately breaching the DPA.
- Undertakings: organisations have to commit to a particular course of action to improve their compliance and avoid further action from the ICO.
- Enforcement notices: organisations in breach of legislation are required to take specific steps in order to comply with the law.
- Audit: the ICO has the authority to audit government departments without consent.
Under proposed new EU rules, the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), fines of up to 5% of global turnover could be levied on offenders.
- Public sector
- Estate agency & property management
- Not-for-profit organisations
- Marketing, e-marketing & digital communications
- Human resources
We offer a wide range of practical experience in the data protection field, including developing procedures and policies, training staff and producing training material, processing complex and sensitive subject access requests, handling and responding to complaints from the regulator, audit preparation, breach management and information sharing.
The services we provide include:
- Audits, health checks & risk analysis: Our consultants can provide assessments where we carry out a full audit of the all existing data sources and produce a written report that highlights any gaps in compliance – and offers potential solutions.
- Policy checking & authoring: A cohesive policy for your entire organisation is extremely important to ensure that robust compliance is maintained. Our team can help guide you in the creation of a policy that is both thorough and clear.
- Development and training: We offer training for key stakeholders.
- Advice and support: Our consultant helpline will provide ongoing support should you require clarification or have any concerns – 0207 380 4988.